CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Summer Book Club (for students!)

Our recent post on Teaching Blog Addict has me thinking.... I know I can't wait to read over the summer, but what about my students?  How can I help prevent that mega-gap between what they know now and all they forget by the fall?  So, I had an idea.  In previous posts, I have mentioned my classroom blog.  My students are in love with the blog and use it daily!  We're starting a summer book club on the blog!  This way my students (and I) will read great books this summer AND still get to stay in touch and communicate about great books, authors, themes, and plots!  To top it off, the 6th grade teachers have a suggested reading list for the summer... we'll start there! 

This hasn't happened yet - but I have a post asking which book they'd like to start with!  Check back frequently for updates because I'm hoping it's going to be a huge success! Also, feel free to join us on the class blog!

What do you do to support summer literacy? 

-Kristen

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful idea!! I might have to jump on board!

    Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and all of your ideas! I'm a new follower. I also just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Check it out and enter to win my giveaway! http://www.nerdynerdynerdy.com/2012/07/blogger-awards-and-my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete